If you want to cut some of your body weight and fats, go for the low-carb Paleo diet or simply Paleo diet. If you are not familiar with this way of eating, it simply refers to our ancestors’ diet. Paleo comes from the word Paleolithic, which is the era when humans were eating fresh and organic meats and veggies.
Why Go for a Low-Carb Diet?
Do not ever think that carbohydrates are bad for the health. The human body needs it as a primary source of energy. However, too much of it in the body makes it the vermin of good health.
The human body uses enough carbs for energy source. The unused carbs will turn into glucose, which is a type of sugar. For this reason, the body’s pancreas will secrete a fat-storing hormone called insulin to break down this sugar. So technically, some of the unnecessary fats in the body are excess carbs.
In addition to that, as people age, the ability of their pancreas to produce insulin diminishes over time. Therefore, a high amount of glucose or sugar levels in the body may lead to diabetes.
As you can see, going for a low-carb Paleo diet is an ideal and healthy way for weight loss.
In fact, there are tons of types of low-carb diets that you can choose from. Another popular low-carb diet nowadays is the ketogenic diet. Their difference lies on the ketogenic diet focusing on controlling three macronutrients, fats, proteins, and carbs and Paleo diet on the food choices. However, the Paleo diet should be the first among your options for various reasons:
- It is the easiest to adhere to because you have wider food choices. The Paleo diet does not restrict you from eating meat, veggies, and fruits. Yes, there are off-limit foods, but there are always better and more delicious alternatives.
- It does not completely take the carbohydrates out of your diet. As it has been said before, carbs are important in the body because it is its primary energy source. You need them to perform your daily functions properly.
- It cuts your dairy, grain, and legume intake. In Paleo diet, these foods are off-limits. As you know, these foods are rich in carbohydrates.
- It is anti-inflammatory. Because you are trimming some of the food source, you will have to find a better alternative. In a low-carb Paleo diet, the best alternatives are produce like asparagus, cauliflower, bell peppers, leafy greens, and the like. These foods are anti-inflammatory.
- Foods rich in good fats like the omega-3 fatty acids are part of the Paleo diet menu.
- You are not allowed toxic and sugary foods like processed and pastries. Early humans did not eat canned goods, soda, and candies to survive.
The Carb Source for Paleo Diet
The Paleo diet does not eliminate all the carbs in the allowed food sources but reduces the consumption of it.
The only food sources where you can get your needed carbohydrates are from fruits and crops like yams and sweet potatoes. For this reason, the low-carb Paleo diet is the ideal way of eating.